Suspected YouTube HQ shooter dead, 3 injured

A woman opened fire at YouTube’s headquarters in San Francisco.
Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
8
In a shocking incident a woman opened fire at YouTube’s headquarters in a suburb of San Francisco, injuring three, before killing herself

In a shocking incident a woman opened fire at YouTube’s headquarters in a suburb of San Francisco, injuring three, before killing herself

In a shocking incident a woman opened fire at YouTube’s headquarters in a suburb of San Francisco, injuring three, before killing herself.

San Bruno police officials identified the woman as Nasim Najafi Aghdam, a 39-year old female resident of San Diego, California. In a statement, police said when they arrived on scene at 12:48pm, arriving officers encountered numerous employees fleeing the premises. 

After shooting three people at the campus in San Bruno on Tuesday, Nasim killed herself with a handgun, authorities noted. A fourth person injured an ankle while escaping the gunfire on campus.

Nasim’s father Ismail Aghdam told Fox News, that his daughter had been missing and had warned the police that she could possibly target YouTube because she "hated" the company. Likewise, Aghdam told the National Broadcasting Company (NBC) that YouTube had "stopped everything and now she has no income." Aghdam reportedly maintained a personal website alleging that YouTube compensated her unfairly and censored her views. The suspected shooter was a vegan blogger who accused YouTube of discriminating against her, according to her online profile.

News of Tuesday’s YouTube Hq shooting initially spread on social media as the company's employees posted about barricading themselves inside rooms as police and ambulances arrived at the scene.

Video posters can receive money from linked advertisements but the company can "de-monetise" channels for various reasons, taking adverts off. It is unclear if this happened with Aghdam's material. However, a screenshot of a video posted on Nasim’s YouTube channel before it was taken down showed her complaining that “YouTube filtered my channels to keep them from getting views.”

In the meanwhile, the video-sharing service terminated Aghdam’s account following the shooting. Similarly, Nasim’s Instagram and Facebook accounts have also been removed.

In the meanwhile, Google’s supremo Sundar Pichai, in an email to Googlers worldwide expressed his sadness at the shooting saying it was an “unimaginable tragedy”and promised to support the victims and their families.