Netflix is reportedly not going to be at Cannes after the festival’s leadership decided to ban movies from competing in it, unless they release in theatres locally. According to Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s chief of content, who spoke to Variety, the company made the decision after tensions escalated between it and Thierry Frémaux, the artistic director at Cannes.
“We want our films to be on fair ground with every other filmmaker. There’s a risk in us going in this way and having our films and filmmakers treated disrespectfully at the festival. They’ve set the tone. I don’t think it would be good for us to be there,” Sarandos told the publication adding, “It was not our decision to make.”
“We hope that they do change the rules,” Sarandos said. “We hope that they modernize. But we will continue to support all films and all film-makers. We encourage Cannes to rejoin the world cinema community and welcome them back.”
Cannes’ decision to ban Netflix from the festival came last month, when it announced that only films with releases in French theaters will be allowed to compete for the Palme d’Or award. Evidently, the same disqualifies Netflix from the award, while on the other hand, a theatrical release could affect the company’s business model.
Before Thursday’s announcement of which films will be premiering, Cannes released its official 2018 poster (above) early Wednesday. The festival is scheduled to be held next month between 8 - 19 May.